Bright Buffalo Niagara brings opportunities for seasoned investors and those looking to make their first deal to learn about exciting new businesses being developed, get up to speed on the latest trends and deals, and meet other investors from around the region to build stronger investment networks.
Meet our 2013 Investor Committee.
In 2012, Bright Buffalo Niagara and SmartStart/UNYTECH, a popular venture forum run by the Albany-based Center for Economic Growth, partnered to host a single event. SmartStart/UNYTECH, over the past 12 years, has highlighted 255 high-quality companies that have raised over $500 million in equity financing, including over $72 million directly attributable to their participation in the forum. This partnership enabled the two events to merge their audiences, reaching both the venture capitalists that SmartStart/UNYTECH typically attracts and the angel investors that have been the focus of Bright in past years.
The Buffalo Niagara region is ripe for investment opportunities:
- In a study conducted in June 2010, it was found that a gap between the demand for funding and what is currently available locally is between U.S. $8 and $25 million.
- This gap, coupled with the fact that Buffalo Niagara Angel Investors funded 37% of presented opportunities over the past five years, twice the national average, demonstrates that the area holds many promising ideas, but just not enough investors to fulfill the need.
- Furthermore, 60% of these deals are in the early or seed stage, almost twice the national average, meaning that future funding sources will be necessary.
Information from a June 2010 Study by Center for Venture Research entitled The Early Stage Equity Market in the Buffalo-Niagara Falls Area
For investors, or people looking to start investing, this gap provides the opportunity to carefully select the startup that is the best fit. Since Buffalo is within a short drive from Southern Ontario, Northwestern Pennsylvania, Northeastern Ohio and other parts of New York state, investors from these places can discuss co-investment opportunities.
2012 Angel and Venture Capital Networks in Attendance:
- Aisling Capital (New York, NY)
- Bison Capital (Santa Monica, CA)
- BlueTree Allied Angels (Pittsburgh, PA)
- Cayuga Venture Fund (Ithaca, NY)
- Cornell Big Red Venture (Ithaca, NY)
- Early Stage Partners (Cleveland, OH)
- Eastern NY Angels (Troy, NY)
- Golden Seeds (New York, NY)
- Hopewell Ventures (Chicago, IL)
- Mount Royal Ventures (Pittsford, NY)
- National Angel Capital Organization (Toronto, ON)
- Niagara Angel Network (Port Colborne, ON)
- Patriot Capital (Baltimore, MD)
- Polaris Venture Partners (Waltham, MA)
- Ohio TechAngel Network (Columbus, OH)
- Rochester Angel Network (Rochester, NY)
- Seed Capital Fund of Central New York (Syracuse, NY)
- Stonehenge Growth Capital, LLC (Tampa, FL)
- Western New York Venture Association (Buffalo, NY)
Read Testimonials from Forum participants.
2012 Venture Forum Program
2012 Venture Forum Highlights
Connect with Bright on Facebook, LinkedIn, and YouTube.